Wednesday

Having Puppies Has Humbled Me

Having two puppies has been a real adventure - definitely a good one, a bit frustrating, and mostly humbling.
Both Daniel and I are responsible but we didn't fully realize how lucky we were to have Bailey. The dog who was perfect - literally. He grazed throughout the day, he never had an accident even if he was left for hours, I could leave him out to stroll the house when we were gone - always, he listened on and off the leash, he loved going on walks and didn't stray form the sidewalk, even though he was tiny he looked over the house, he was patient when I had to bathe him by myself because he had flees, etc. I could go on and on about how fantastic he was. And even though I do not want Boone or Ash to replace Bailey, I wouldn't mind if they inherited a few of his traits. 

To put things simply, I haven't felt in over my head with two puppies but they have taught me a lot about myself, how to better handle situations, that they are young and do what is natural, and how well Daniel and I work together.

One of the hardest things I have to remember is that they are young (currently 4 months!) With that being said, do I get frustrated if they grab something and run away with it when they shouldn't? Yep. Is it frustrating when they have accidents - most definitely. They are still babies and they are going to have accidents. Would I prefer Boone not to pee in his crate…YEP! Especially when I take him out before I leave, he is in a small crate so there's really no avoiding it, I do my best to tire them out before bed, and they are on a regular schedule. He is young and things are going to happen. Does Ash steal everything off the table? Did he knock over my smoothie the other morning? Yes and yes. They are babies and they are curious. To me it makes perfect sense that we do not chew on nail clippers or knock over a smoothie but to Ash it either smells good or it may be something new and interesting to chew on.

One of the most humbling moments happened when Boone and I were attempting to clip nails. I had done it before - but as I said earlier, when it seems so simple and non threatening to you it's hard to remember that the puppies have no clue - but we had a little incident. Boone got nervous and instead of backing off and praising him for letting me get part of it done, I tried to clip another nail (not forcefully!) and after a squeal (he is the more sensitive puppy) Boone was nervous and got off the couch. When he's not sitting still and behaving it's simple to get annoyed, especially when you aren't doing anything harmful (unless you clip to high! Ouch) therefore, I told him no for trying to squirm instead of working with him and encouraging. After lots of feet touching, excitement over the clippers, and treats we are working through it. 

You know how people say it's a good idea for a couple to have dogs before kids? If you have the means and space, I would agree that if you are up for it it is positive! I have learned when it comes to how to approach certain behaviors, potty training, and training a bit different in some areas and the same in others. Compromise people! Also, you will learn how willing or not willing your significant other is willing to get up in the middle of the night when the puppies are young and have to pee at odd hours of the morning :) 

Needless to say, I love my babies and while I would give anything to have Bailey back, these little nuggets have brought joy into my life!





If you made it all the way to the end, thanks for reading :) 


3 comments

  1. Puppies will teach you patience! lol they are so darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They are sweet little things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puppies Puppies Puppies! I have a story or two about my furry girls.
    I tell you though, no matter how stressed you are they always make things seem not so bad {unless the stress is because of them, then all you have to do is look in their eyes--can stay mad long}
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

On Instagram

© Simply Teasing. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.