Monday

Back To School Nursing Essentials

This upcoming semester is my 4th and final semester of nursing school. Along the way I found some items that I cannot live without!

A Good Stethoscope. 
If there's one thing I've learned during nursing school is that a good quality stethoscope definitely makes a difference when it comes to what you can hear and how well you can hear it. In general, the majority of my class has a Littmann Stethoscope. I myself have a Littmann and I have nothing bad to say about it. Plus they come in a variety of colors so you can really find something that suits you! To give you an idea of how well made Littmann Stethoscope's are, my parent's still have their original Littmann's! 



I have the Littmann Caridology III and now there is a version IV available. Another popular choice in my class is the Littmann Classic. 


Comfortable Shoes.
I cannot stress this enough! I cannot tell you how many times classmates have complained about their feet hurting. And yes, when you stand for so long your feet are going to ache some but a good pair of shoes make it so much more bearable. I started with the Athena Klog's and while those have been with me the longest, they started to hurt my toes. So I turned to another pair of ugly shoes, the Brook's Addiction Walker and oh boy are they ugly. I assure you they look better with scrub pants on, but ugliness aside, they give me such wonderful arch support and are so comfortable! 

Oh and did I mention that they are leather? Which means no matter what ends up on your shoes you can just wipe it off and don't have to worry about it getting through any mesh pores. 


A Good Bag to Carry All of Your Junk Stuff.
Yep, I am a bag lady. I throw everything in my clinical bag - EVERYTHING! You never know what you are going to need when you are there. My favorite bag is the Scout Pocket Rocket


1) This bag is big enough to fit all of my stuff 
2) The pockets are everything! I shove tape, pens, scissors, and my stethoscope in the pockets. Yes, the pockets are long enough to nicely fit your stethoscope without having to worry about it falling out. And it comes in such pretty patterns. 


This thing is amazing. When I started nursing school they suggested that you buy a clipboard; many of us didn't. The reason being is that they are clunky and there is no where to place them or store them. I like being organized and hated shoving my papers in my pockets, but such was life. But then my eyes were opened by a fellow classmate who came walking into clinical one morning with one of these babies.  Once I saw that this thing folds and fits in your scrub pocket I was sold and promptly went home to order my own. They do come in many different editions so make sure you order the one that is applicable to you!


Oh and it comes with those stickers already applied which are wonderful little reminders that you can look at quickly if you need help!


A Good Pocket Guide.
Now this will vary depending on what you want/like. I have a drug pocket book and the NP Pocket Nursing, which is my new baby. I love this little reference book. Sometimes it's hard to get to a computer or you need a quick refresher and don't want to spend time logging in and going through multiple pages to get what you want - Que. this little bad boy. 

P.s. it's on sale now and customizable! 


Other items that you may enjoy during school or your time spent working are cheap pens - because we lose them, people take them, or they get left in or trashed in isolation rooms. You can find non-retractable one's for cheaper, but I prefer mine be retractable. 

A good pair of compression socks if you choose to wear them. I am all about my ProCompression socks. 

A good lunch box that suits you. There are so many to choose from. In fact, I need to find something that works a bit better because I currently tote two around. One is a Scout bag that I love to throw all my snacks in and the other is this lunchbox that I love because I meal prep and bring my own meals. 

Not essential, but a cute badge reel. I love badge reel's and literally want a collection of them. You can find some adorable one's on Etsy! Just type in Badge Reel and go from there! 



Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Simply Teasing. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.